inspire. get inspired. be a writing fellow.
Now Accepting applications for our spring ’14 Fellowship
The Writing Fellows are a community of writers who help Savannah’s young people write and share their stories. Our community includes (but certainly is not limited to) published authors and poets, unpublished authors and poets, aspiring and professional writers, journalists, college professors, graduate students, select undergraduate students, teachers, retired teachers, business professionals, creative professionals, and other literature-lovers. Writing Fellows come from diverse backgrounds, but we all possess 3 very important qualities:
- A sincere appreciation for reading and the craft of writing
- An insatiable curiosity and a love of learning
- A desire to share that love of learning with others
The Program: Here’s how it works
The Commitment: What Writing Fellows give
- One weekend (2-days) of training and orientation to Deep’s program, our method of leading writing workshops. New Writing Fellows will practice planning a great workshop of their own as well, during training.
- The time commitment works out to about 4 hours per week, for 11 weeks. This time approximation accounts for time spent planning together (outside of the workshop), time leading the students on-site, and time spent commenting on DeepKids’ writing every week (each is an integral part of our method).
The Perks: What Writing Fellows get
- The privilege of working with our brilliant kids
- Membership in an active community of curious, fun, and creative people who share a love of writing
- A free copy of your students’ published book– professionally illustrated, printed and bound
- Access to exclusive visiting author lectures
- Access to an exclusive That Writing Lady series of workshop on the teaching of writing
- Opportunities for publication in local zines
- Access to a robust, active literary community
- Possible course credit available for selected Writing Fellows who arecurrently enrolled in undergrad or graduate program.
*To get involved in other ways, check out our staff internships.
*If you are a Professor at SSU, check out our Professor Fellowships